The first weeks of school are coming and thus begins the “Welcome to the Library” lessons. During the first two-three classes this is when I talk about classroom procedures and expectations. Lessons on how we take care of books, check out procedures, introducing the library website, etc. But also during these times I try to read one funny picture book that has the theme of library, books, school, or just plain fun.
I thought I would share some of the books from my personal collection that I enjoy reading aloud for my students.
For PK-1 students:
- Oliver and His Alligator by Paul Schmid
- There was an Old Lady Who Swallowed Some Books by Lucille Colandro
- Adventure Annie Goes to Kindergarten by Toni Buzzeo
- The Librarian from the Black Lagoon by Mike Thaler
- No David by David Shannon
- How do Dinosaurs Go to School? by Jane Yolen
Grade 2-4 students
- Wild about Books by Judy Sierra
- Red Knit Cap Girl and the Reading Tree by Naoko Stoop
- My Teacher is a Monster (No I AM Not) by Peter Brown
- Library Lion by Michelle Knudsen
- The Fantastic Flying Books of Mr. Morris Lessmore by William Joyce
- Mr. Tiger Goes Wild by Peter Brown
Really though a lot of these books can be read across the board (maybe not Adventure Annie, but My Teacher is a Monster for sure).